Today is December 12, 2012. There is something very unique about today. It is special in that December 12, 2012 is a day whose numbered dating will not occur again for 100 years. Of course when you think about it, that is true for any date. But look at today’s date, 12/12/12. Don’t you think that is pretty cool? For today’s blog let’s consider the significance of the number 12.
According to Chinese numerology, the number 1 is considered a yang number. It is ruled by the sun and represents independence. Two is considered a yin number ruled by the moon and represents symmetry and balance. The number 12 then combines the yin and the yang, balancing the masculine energy of the sun and the feminine energy of the moon and thus is a complete number.
But let’s think about the number 12 in our culture. One of the first things I think about when I look at 12 is all the great quarterbacks who have worn that number. But on a more serious note consider the following:
• 12 constitute a dozen, as in a dozen eggs.
• There are 12 hours on the face of the clock.
• 12 inches equal 1 foot. Did you ever stop to think how much simpler it would be if it were 10 inches equals one foot? Of course this is the metric system’s foundation and that didn’t go over very well several years ago when that change was introduced in our culture.
• There are 12 signs of the zodiac.
• And then there is a year made up of 12 months.
Consider the spiritual significance of the number 12. 12 is said to be a perfect number. It is the product of 3 and 4. The sum of 3 and 4 yields 7 and 7 is also known as a perfect number. But for today’s thoughts, 3 times 4 equals 12.
What makes 3 and 4 special and in turn makes 7 and 12 special? 3 is the perfect Divine number that could represent the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. 4 on the other hand is an earthly or material number; think about the four directions (north, south, east, and west) or the 4 elements (earth, air, fire, and water). Some have even observed 12 being the product of 3 and 4 could represent the Trinity omnipresent in the four corners of the earth.
Whatever your thoughts, there is no denying that 12 is a significant spiritual number. The fact is it occurs 187 times in the Bible. 22 of those are found in the book of Revelation and thus are highly symbolic. For example, the heavenly city, the New Jerusalem, is said to have 12 gates guarded by 12 angels.
Consider the following collection of 12’s in the Bible:
• Number of patriarchs from Shem (post flood and Noah’s son) to Jacob
• Number of Jacob’s sons that became the…
• Number of tribes of Israel
• Number of spies sent out by Moses
• Elijah built an altar of 12 stones when he called fire down from heaven.
• Number of judges to rule Israel
And in the New Testament:
• Age of Jesus when He first appeared in public
• After feeding the 5,000 with five loaves and two fish, the leftovers filled 12 baskets.
• 12 Legions of angels were available at Jesus’ arrest.
• Number of apostles originally chosen (Matthias and Paul were added later)
So indeed 12 is a special number. The date 12/12/12 is an interesting play on numbers. We have observed this scenario 11 other times over the last 11 years. I recall one in particular, May 5, 2005 (05/05/05). My Teresa and I accidentally got caught in a Cinco de Mayo celebration, but that will be the subject of another discussion on another day.
After today, the next time this will happen is on January 1, 2101, if the LORD is willing to delay His coming. Most of us will not be around for that so enjoy today!
Hope you have a great 12/12/12!